- supports the Amendment to Australia Marriage Act 1961 Part IV Division 2 Sub-paragraph 42 to add an Australian passport as evident of the date and place of birth of the party seeking to marry as this removes discrimination against all Australian citizens, and especially as those persons born overseas are able to use overseas passports
- supports the introduction of an Application Fee for the processing of all new marriage celebrants.
- opposes removal of 5 year reviews of life-time appointments
- opposes the introduction of a “Celebrant Registration Fee” unless this applies to all marriage celebrants.
- proposes a minimal staffing of the Marriage Law and Celebrant Section, making the maximum use of the advice and support of the peak body CoCA, celebrant associations and the State Registry Offices
- calls for implementing the recommendations of its comprehensive Submission on Cost Recovery & Increasing Professionalism. Those recommendations are aimed at a cost-effective and professionally enhancing system for the appointment and ongoing management of the Commonwealth Marriage Celebrant Program.