The questionnarie can be done by individuals - and can be done in pieces and saved but must be completed by end Monday 30th April.
- What does your association think about the level for professional independent civil celebrants offering a range of ceremonies, including marriage and funeral?
- What do you think about the level for professional occupation codes for independent civil celebrants offering a range of ceremonies, including marriage and funerals?
- Recommend that that ANZSCO Code be reviewed for Occupation 451811 Civil Celebrant.
- Explain that descriptor for code 451811 does not fully express the role of civil celebrants in an increasely secular and multicultural society.
- Advise that for Australia the Code skills level is incorrect - currently AQF Cert IV - so should be listed as ANZSCO level 3.
- Explain that Australian authorised marriage celebrants have professional legal responsibilites not required of NZ civil celebrants. This sector has expanded from approx.1800 civil celebrant performing 45% of marriages in 1995 to approx. 8500 civil celebrants performing 76% of all marriages in Australia in 2016.
- Explain that independent civil celebrants are unique in that they design and deliver meaningful personally crafted ceremonies in consultation with couples and families to ensure they meet the specific needs of their clients. This means addressing the physical, psychological, family, social, ethical, spiritual and cultural needs of the gathering where people are undergoing changes. These changes may be both positive and negative, whether this is a change of choice, such as getting married, or a change due to circumstances outside one's control. such as death or natural disasters.
- Explain that independent civil celebrants work unsurpervised in private pactice, requiring competent business skills and professional ethics.
FOR ASSISTANCE WITH COMPLETING THIS QUESTIONNAIRE:
See ANZSCO - codes search facility.
Download spreadsheet of codes: 1220.0_ANZSCO_Version_1.2_Structure_v3.xls
Celebrant - UNIT GROUP 4518 OTHER PERSONAL SERVICE WORKERS
451811 Civil Celebrant
451812 Hair or Beauty Salon Assistant
451813 Sex Worker or Escort
451899 Personal Service Workers nec
Indicative Skill Level:
The occupations Civil Celebrant and Personal Service Workers nec have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
451811 CIVIL CELEBRANT
Conducts civil marriage ceremonies, funerals, commitment ceremonies, namings and other ceremonies, and maintains appropriate records. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 4
Ministers of Religion
UNIT GROUP 2722 MINISTERS OF RELIGION
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. The occupation in this unit group requires high levels of personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Performs spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of a religious faith, and provides motivation, guidance and training in religious life for the people of a congregation or parish, and the wider community. This occupation requires high levels of personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 1
ASSISTANCE WITH COMPLETING THIS QUESTIONNAIRE: DOWNLOAD
Dear Skills Service Organisations
RE: Review of ANZSCO alongside the 2021 Census
You have been identified as a potential stakeholder and user of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) data. ANZSCO is used widely across government and through industry in formulating policy which better meets the needs of individuals, particularly in relation to vocational education and training and higher education.
There is the potential for ANZSCO to be reviewed alongside the 2021 Census. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is currently in the process of consulting on their 2021 Census and this provides an opportunity for stakeholders to express the need and urgency for a review of ANZSCO. The process will take approximately 10 minutes and can be accessed at: www.consult.abs.gov.au/census/census-topics/consultation/subpage.2018-02-07.0847606687/
It is requested that feedback on the need for an ANZSCO major review be provided by 30 April 2018 for immediate consideration by the ABS. Please note that this is prior to the closure of the census consultation period.
As any review of ANZSCO is dependent on appropriate stakeholder feedback, please feel welcome to forward this email to any IRC members, colleagues or stakeholders with an interest in ANZSCO.
Strategic Policy Team
Industry Advice Branch
Australian Government Department of Education and Training
Opportunity through learning