Marriage Law and Celebrant Section – information on changes to the Marriage Celebrant progamAugust 21st, 2012 | Posted by in Cost Recovery Plan
As part of the 2011–12 Budget, the Government announced that cost recovery arrangements for the Marriage Celebrants Program would be implemented from 1 July 2013.
The Department is calling for feedback from marriage celebrants and other interested stakeholders on a new Consultation Paper by 24 September 2012. The Paper has been developed after careful consideration of the feedback received to date, assessment of options and costings of the proposed changes.
An outline of the key changes is set out in Marriage Celebrant Matters. In summary, the Department is proposing the following charges from 1 July 2013:
- new application charge of $600
- annual registration charge of $240, and
- an exemption processing charge of $30.
The aim of the changes is to improve the services delivered to marriage celebrants including increased access to the Department, new technology and enhanced information. It will also allow the Department to effectively regulate marriage celebrants through strengthened application, performance review and complaints handling mechanisms. The benefits of these changes will also flow on to marrying couples as the end users of an improved Program.
For more information:
Release of New Consultation Paper – Submissions due 24 September 2012
- Marriage Celebrant Matters Newsletter – First Edition [DOC 2.85MB] – print friendly
- Marriage Celebrant Matters Newsletter – First Edition [PDF 1.27MB]
- Consultation Paper – Program Improvements through Cost Recovery [DOC 151KB] – print friendly
- Consultation Paper – Program Improvements through Cost Recovery [PDF 1,074KB]
Please see the Marriage Celebrant Program Reforms FAQ for additional information.
- Marriage Celebrant Program Reforms FAQs [DOC 123KB] – print friendly
- Marriage Celebrant Program Reforms FAQs [PDF 350KB]
The Department would like to thank those who attended the face-to-face meetings and/or provided the 280 written submissions for their valuable input.
- Summary of the feedback provided during the consultation meetings [DOC 159KB] – print friendly
- Presentation from national consultation meetings [PPT 235KB]
CoCA will be preparing materials for celebrants to consider the flow-on of these changes and their impact on celebrants and the marrying public.
Your initial comments are welcome as will be your comments when we have all had more time to examine the changes and their impact.
These will assist in creating CoCA’s response to the Attorney General.